Decree on Demand: Frequently Asked Questions

What is a consent decree?

The court enters a Consent Decree when all parties have agreed on how to resolve everything required for a divorce, legal separation or annulment. You must agree in writing to issues such as division of property and debt, spousal maintenance (if any), legal decision-making, visitation, and support (if you have children). All parties must sign the written decree.

The Respondent still must be served with the petition (or the Respondent must sign an Acceptance of Service or Waiver of Service). The signed consent decree and other required paperwork cannot be submitted to the court until at least 64 days have passed after the date the Respondent was served with the divorce papers.

Make sure your documents are completed correctly before filing them with the court. If they are not completed correctly, the court will not be able to sign the documents.

What documents need to be completed to ask for a consent decree?

The following paperwork is required to be signed and notarized by all parties when submitting a consent decree:

  • Original Stipulation to proceed by Consent Decree and 2 copies
  • Original Decree of Dissolution/final Orders and 2 copies
  • 2 self-addressed stamped 9 x 14 envelopes

For cases with children you will also need:

  • Original Parenting Plan and 2 copies
  • Original Child Support Worksheet and 2 copies
  • Original Child Support Order and 2 copies
  • Original Order of Assignment and 2 copies
  • Judgment Data Sheet
  • Original Parent Information Program Certificates or conformed copies

Family Presiding Judge
Bruce R. Cohen

Brian Bledsoe

Brian Bledsoe
Family Department Administrator
Contact the Family Department

  This page was last updated on: