New Process for Submitting Exhibits

Hearings set after August 1, 2024, will use Case Center for exhibit submission except for commissioner cases or Lower Court Appeal cases.

About the Civil Department

The Civil Department handles cases between individuals, businesses and corporations, partnerships and government entities. The court is responsible for the fair and lawful resolution of things like:

Contract Disputes
Contract Disputes
Personal Injury Claims
Personal Injury Claims
Property Damage
Property Damage
Medical Malpractice
Medical Malpractice

Civil Department Services


The commercial court helps provide quick, cost-effective methods of resolving commercial disputes.



Compulsory arbitration is a mandatory program for disputes valued under $50,000. It can help lower costs and provide quick resolutions to lower-level disputes.


Civil Department Additional Resources

The civil commissioners for the Superior Court preside over the following items:

  • Name Change for an Adult
  • Name Change for a Minor Child
  • Name Change for a Family
  • Amended Birth Certificate for Adult
  • Amended Birth Certificate for Minor Child
  • Amended Marriage License
  • Default
  • Forcible Detainer

If you need to schedule a hearing assigned to a civil commissioner call (602) 506-1497 on Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm

This repository provides information on the decisions for commercial court cases. Please note that cases ruled on prior to July 1, 2015, may not have information available. You will need to have Westlaw access in order to use the repository.

If you file for a restraining order or preliminary injunction and need an emergency hearing, you must email your documents to

Civil Department Leadership

Hon. Danielle Viola

Presiding Judge

Luke Emerson

Department Administrator

Contact the Civil Department