To start the legal separation process when no minor children are involved (non-covenant marriage only)

You may use the forms on this page if the following factors apply to your situation :
  • You want to file for legal separation; AND

WARNING: If the other party does not want a legal separation, the Court may change the Petition for Legal Separation into a Petition for Divorce if you and/or your spouse have lived in Arizona for the last 90 days prior to filing the Petition for Legal Separation.

  • You do not have a "covenant marriage"* (covenant marriage is an unusual situation; most people will not have a covenant marriage); AND
  • You and your spouse do not have minor children with each other; AND
  • You or your spouse either live in Arizona or are a member of the armed services and stationed in Arizona; AND
  • You or your spouse have tried to make your marriage work, or have tried to resolve the issues related to the legal separation through Conciliation Court, or there is no point in trying because the marriage is over and conciliation will not help.

*What is a "Covenant Marriage?" To have a "covenant marriage," both spouses would have had to:

  1. sign papers (essentially a contract) requesting a covenant marriage; AND
  2. attend pre-marital counseling; AND
  3. your marriage license would say "Covenant Marriage."

If you were married before August 21, 1998 and have not signed papers to convert your marriage to a "covenant marriage", you do not have a "covenant marriage". See A.R.S. § 25-904 for requirements for legal separation for a "covenant marriage". If you still have questions about whether you have a "covenant marriage," see a lawyer for help.

Packets contain ALL forms and ALL instructions needed for this process. 

To start the process for legal separation when no minor children are involved - Instructions and Forms - DRLSA1

Download Packet Descargar todos los formularios
or download instructions and forms individually
Instructions: How to fill out the forms - drlsa10i
Procedures: How to file the forms - drlsa10p
Family Department Sensitive Data / Cover Sheet - drsds10f-a
Summons - dr11f
Preliminary Injunction - dr14f
Petition for Legal Separation without Minor Children - drlsa10f
Notice Regarding Creditors - dr16f

The files included within the Law Library Resource Center's website are copyrighted. Users have permission to use the files, forms, and information for any lawful purpose. The files and forms are not intended to be used to engage in the unauthorized practice of law. The Court assumes no responsibility and accepts no liability tor actions taken by the users of these documents, including reliance on their contents. All files are under continual revision. If you are not using these forms right away, or if you plan to use them repeatedly, we strongly recommend that you check the site regularly to determine whether the files you are using have been updated.

  This page was last updated on: