Emancipation of a Minor

You may use the forms on this page if the following factors apply to your situation :

The law that permits a minor to apply for emancipation, A.R.S. 12-2451, imposes numerous qualifications such as those listed below. Make sure you meet these qualifications before you file.


  • You are at least 16 years old BUT less than 18. Note that this court process will generally take about 3 months, so if you are 17 and nine months or older, you may turn 18 and emancipate automatically before this process is completed, AND
  • You are not legally married, AND
  • You are a resident of Arizona and of the county where you are filing this request, AND
  • You are financially self-sufficient, that is, you can prove you are able to support yourself and provide your own food, housing, and medical care, etc., without parental assistance, and you want to be declared legally "an Adult", responsible for your own support, AND
  • You understand emancipation will release your parents from any further legal obligation to provide you with food, housing, medical care (or insurance), AND
  • You have read and understand the "Information on Emancipation in Arizona" packet, AND
  • You understand the Court will give notice of this request to your parent(s) if their parental rights have not been terminated by Court Order and to any legal guardian(s).


  • YOU ARE A WARD OF THE COURT, that is, you may not apply for emancipation if you are on probation or parole, or in the care or Legal Decision Making (Custody) of Department of Child Safety or other state agency if a "final" order of Dependency has been issued, OR
  • YOU ARE LEGALLY MARRIED in which case you are already emancipated.

Emancipation of a Minor - JE1

Download Packet Descargar todos los formularios
or download instructions and forms individually
Information about Emancipation in Arizona - JE1h
How to Request a Court Order for Emancipating a Minor - JE10h
Instructions to Complete Petition for Emancipation of a Minor - JE12i
Preparing for and Attending Court Hearing for Emancipation - JE68h
Juvenile Emancipation Information Sheet - JE10f
Motion to Seal (Request to keep information confidential) - JEMS10f
Petition for Emancipation of a Minor - JE12f
Consent of Parent or Legal Guardian to Emancipation of Minor - JE13f
Consent of Parent or Legal Guardian to Emancipation of Minor (2) - JE13f
Order for Emancipation of a Minor - JE80f

The files included within the Law Library Resource Center's website are copyrighted. Users have permission to use the files, forms, and information for any lawful purpose. The files and forms are not intended to be used to engage in the unauthorized practice of law. The Court assumes no responsibility and accepts no liability tor actions taken by the users of these documents, including reliance on their contents. All files are under continual revision. If you are not using these forms right away, or if you plan to use them repeatedly, we strongly recommend that you check the site regularly to determine whether the files you are using have been updated.

  This page was last updated on: